After losing Foxconn, Shinde calls PM, ‘promised good deal’ | India News


MUMBAI/ THANE: As the political blame game over the shifting of the $20 billion Vedanta-Foxconn semiconductor project from the state to Gujarat escalated, CM Eknath Shinde spoke to PM Modi on Tuesday night and expressed concern over Maharashtra losing the mega project. State industries minister Uday Samant said on Wednesday that when Shinde spoke to the PM, Modi assured Shinde that Maharashtra would get to host “an equally big or even bigger investment project” in future.
Shinde blamed the previous MVA government for Maharashtra losing out on the semiconductor plant. Shinde said in the last two years, Vedanta-Foxconn may not have got a response from the state government as expected or the response may have fallen short of their expectations.
The CM added that when he had met the PM, Modi had promised him support and said all decisions would be taken in the interests of the state. “This includes new industry and infrastructure. Going forward, I have spoken to the Union railway minister and industries minister. New industries must come to Maharashtra and the Centre must support us,” he said.
Adopting a combative tone in the wake of sharp criticism from Shiv Sena, Congress and NCP, industries minister Samant said he would release on Thursday a list of projects that had exited Maharashtra in the last 2.5 years when the MVA was in power.
Samant said political parties should desist from having a “dual opinion” on inflow of investment and job creation in Maharashtra.
Earlier this year, CM Uddhav Thackeray had said the Nanar oil refinery project should be moved to Barsu village. Samant said he was surprised the Thackeray team was suddenly opposing the Barsu site that was being finalised by the MVA.
He said 2,900 acres of the 5,000 acres land required for the project was available and the government would sort out the issue with the villagers at the earliest.
(Inputs from Pradeep Gupta)





Source link

Leave a Comment