Karnataka: 6 months on, Ukraine students told to take up other courses | Bengaluru News


BENGALURU: Nearly six months after assurances from medical education minister K Sudhakar that the government will facilitate continuation of education for Ukraine-returned medicos in 60 colleges across the state, higher education minister CN Ashwath Narayan advised them to opt for alternative courses now.
The students and their parents had been hoping for the state’s intervention to absorb them here after the medicos had to flee war-torn Ukraine where they were studying.
Asked about alternatives such as a regional centre for Ukraine returnees on the sidelines of a programme on Tuesday, Narayan said, “I don’t know how to do it. The medical stream has its own niceties, regulatory body and challenges, and is not like any other stream. Hence we cannot shed more light on it.”
The minister said the Centre had already provided clarity on this (Ukraine returnees’ future) and the state can’t rethink it. “I had said it at the start – I knew from the beginning what could be the challenges, as a doctor,” Narayan added.
He said the students could join other courses if they must, in India or other places which are not war hit.
The Centre on September 15 had told the Supreme Court that Ukraine-returned medical students cannot be accommodated in Indian universities in the absence of any provision under National Medical Commission (NMC) Act, 2019, and giving any such relaxation will seriously hamper the standards of medical education in the country.





Source link

Leave a Comment